*****My promise to you....*****
I am an independent nursing education consultant. When I consult with your school I PROMISE to NEVER try to sell you books, products, services, or any other "merchandise". I bring to you my unbiased view of nursing education with award winning and evidence-based solutions to help with your concerns based on over 30 years of experience in nursing education and a formal doctoral level degree (EdD) in education.
This is my promise to you.
Welcome and.....welcome to the latest in nursing education.
I am happy to share with you that I have completed the site visitor training for the new nursing accreditation body from the NLN, the Commission on Nursing Education Accreditation (CNEA). Because nursing program accreditation consulting is part of my services, I believe it is important for consultants to spend the time and effort to learn about this new accreditation body. My opinion is this is a very viable option for schools seeking accreditation for their nursing program. I can't wait to visit schools!
Visit www.nln.org and click on Publications to learn about the new book from the National League for Nursing titled: Innovations in Nursing Education: Building the Future of Nursing, Volume 3. Volume 2 of that series won an AJN Book of the Year award in 2015! It was my pleasure to edit this book. The book provides many wonderful ideas for innovating nursing education. Volume 3 will be available at the NLN Summit in Las Vegas in September, 2015 then online at nln.org.
Over the past 5 years my work with schools of nursing related to curriculum revision has consistently moved in the direction of the Concept-Based Curriculum.
If you are thinking of moving to a concept-based curriculum and would like some consulting assistance, please call for information about how I can help!
Also, please visit Elsevier's website and look for my new book:
Mastering Concept-Based Teaching: A Guide for Nurse Educators written by Drs. Jean Giddens, Linda Caputi, and Beth Rodgers.
Other areas of current topics for faculty development and conference workshops include the following:
1. Increasing NCLEX pass rates. I can help you by developing an action plan and working with faculty to implement that plan for increasing NCLEX pass rates.
2. Teaching clinical reasoning -- one of the major issues facing nursing education today is how to teach students to think like a nurse. This requires a major change in the way we have been teaching critical thinking, but it can be done! I can provide a model for teaching clinical reasoning that is practical and easy to implement.
3. The Caputi Model for Clinical Education© -- Click on Teaching Tools tab to download the model. Faculty workshop available to share this model of transforming clinical instruction to meet today's nursing education needs.
4. A review for the Certified Nurse Educator exam.
5. Writing critical thinking test items. It's not enough to teach critical thinking, we then must evaluate students to determine their level of achievement. Test items must be at the application or higher cognitive levels. But how do you know if you wrote a critical thinking test item? I have a flowchart that faculty can use to determine if a test item is a critical thinking item -- this is the focus of this workshop on test item writing.
1. Developing and teaching a concept-based curriculum -- more than just the "how to" but the "why" and "why bother". VERY popular!
2. Getting ready for nursing program accreditation -- all aspects of nursing program accreditation from a needs assessment, to guidance in the process, to assistance after the visit. Please contact me with your specific needs for an individualized quote.
3. Transforming Clinical Education: Learn to make your clinicals manageable for both students and faculty, and create a valid and reliable clinical evaluation tool!
4. The Curriculum Revision Toolkit© : A Toolkit for nursing programs to use to guide their curriculum revision process, available as either an onsite workshop or for purchase with telephone consultation.
5. Strategies for Teaching Pharmacology: Provides learning strategies that are meaningful and engaging.
6. Aligning Nursing Education with Practice: How we can make it happen! This presentations provides an overview of the education/practice gap and offers practical ideas about how to close the gap.
7. A Review Course for the Certified Nurse Educator(TM) Exam
Click on the "Workshop Topics" tab for a complete list.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE!!
And here is a message I received from a faculty in Michigan about the Caputi Model for Clinical Education:
This was exactly what I needed as I plan this semester's clinicals--WOW. It is the missing piece. We have struggled trying to figure out how to make the most of clinical experiences and give students a way to think through everything they see, do, learn, hear...now we have awesome tools. Thanks a million!
- Professor Judy Crotty, Finlandia University • 601 Quincy Street • Hancock, MI
You may preview this model by clicking on the "Teaching Tools" tab at the top of the screen.
The purpose of this website is to provide information about my work and services as a nursing education consultant, author, and workshop presenter.
I hope you find this website useful as a source of information for your nursing education program. Please contact me to discuss your needs and how I can help.